Friday, September 11, 2009

Sad parental moment


After the first few days of school, Dillon was sitting on the couch and said to me,

"Mom, I wish I had a twin."

(me)"Really? Why do you want one?" while I was preparing dinner.

(D.) "Yeah, because the big boys are twins- his brothers-and Caden and Cole are twins -his cousins."


I wasn't sure how to respond or how serious this question was until I looked over at him and he had tears welling up in his eyes. I had to think quickly and came up with this response.


"Dillon, guess who can be your twin? Daddy!" My little D. was so excited that this would work out to have Dad for his twin. The next few days have been so precious watching Dillon (who is already connected to Steve at the hip) calling for his twin to play with him. God blessed Dillon with a happy soul and it kills me to see him anything but happy. He usually gets left out of the bigger boys' activities. He tries so hard to be an equal but those four years between them serve as a real disadvantage sometimes. I'm sure this is only a taste of what's to come.

5 comments:

Stacy J said...

What a sweet Dad to be Dilon's twin!!!! What a sweetheart Dilon is!

Stacy J said...

Yep, I knew I spelled his name wrong--sorry

cjdustin said...

That is so sad and so sweet! I can imagine it is hard for him when he is surrounded by twins!

Ashley said...

That just breaks my heart! What a sweet little guy he is.

Chelsey and Casey said...

Aw, sweet little Dillion! I'll be his twin!